Sunday, April 5, 2009

Grandma and the Farm

I just love my grandma. She is pretty much the greatest lady that has ever walked this earth. I got to spend Saturday and Sunday watching conference with her. My family is gone to Rockville so she took me under her wing. :) She made me homemade chili- which is my absolute favorite, and called to check on me to make sure I wasn't freezing to death. Which I actually was because I can't build a fire to save my life. (My dad would have been very disappointed. He's tried and tired to teach me, but I failed miserably.)
On Friday the rest of the cows that my grandparents had were sold. Grandma came home from the temple and she was so sad. My heart broke when she told me about coming home and seeing they were all gone. She went to take pictures of the barnyard and she was crying. It was heartbreaking to see what my grandparents had worked for all their lives to be gone so fast. It will be so weird to go home and not see the baby calves out our back window, go to the barn and get milk, hear the milkers going in the morning, and seeing the cows in the field in the summer. My little brothers and cousins won't have the experience of building hayforts in the barn, eating picnics in the hay, playing in the sawdust, seeing new baby calves, moving cows down to the field, and best of all getting fresh milk from the barn. Though the farm will no longer be the farm, I'm so grateful that I have the memories that I do. . .

2 comments:

  1. Poor Grandma! We are broken hearted for her too! Kevin talked to her a couple of days before the big sale and she was soo sad........I can't imagine.
    How's school?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Grandma is the greatest lady ever... I am glad I have all the memories of the farm also.. the sawdust, feeding baby cows, riding hay-bale(sp?) up the little elevator, and many many more. So sad for her to have to sale but better in the long run We love her!!!

    ReplyDelete